Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Have you Heard of "Growth-Attenuation Therapy"?

Hi Everybody,

I found this article about "Growth Attenuation Therapy", it's intended for children with disabilities as a way to keep them smaller and lighter as they grow into their adult years. It is a way of stunting their growth so that the parents can continue to care for them on their own. Many parents don't like the idea of sending their child to a home or institution, so this ensures that they can care for their kids in their own home. This is a controversial "Therapy", because it technically is not curing any illness or improving upon any existing medical condition. The "therapy" significantly stunts the growth and development of the child for the sake of being more manageable to take care of. 

It's sad, we don't know if it really helps them, or perhaps slowly kills them. I don't like this therapy for making the kids stay little. What happens when the parents are simply too old to care for them anymore? Do they have family members that can come and look after them? Does the government come in and take over trying to do the right thing for the child? I don't believe the government cares and they put people wherever  there is room, but would that be the best fit for the child? These questions have to be answered. But perhaps the most pressing question is "Does the end justify the means"? Is it really worth it to have a smaller adult that you are able to care for on your own even if it means putting their body and mind at risk? Who knows if this affects their mental development as well. I know this therapy is given with good intention but that doesn't make it ethical. That's all I'm saying. 

Truly I think people are afraid of letting their child with a disability to go out in the world and see what life can bring them. This is where I have been lucky. I have a wonderful family and they do the right thing for me. I moved out of my parents house when I was 18 and lived in a group home for eleven years, and now I've been living with my best friend for the last five years. The truth is, I hate to say this my parents won't be around forever, so my sisters will have to look after me. I am so thankful for them. But on the other hand, I feel sad for parents who want their kid to stay at home because they don't want them to miss out on "normal" family experiences. I don't know if they have plans for them. All I'm saying is do the right thing for the child. It's going to look different for every individual and their family.


Here is the link to the article :
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/04/theater/hamilton-tony-nominations-record.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2FEditors’%20Picks&action=click&contentCollection=Magazine&module=Collection&region=Marginalia&src=me&version=spotlight&pgtype=article

If you get a chance to read it...



No comments:

Post a Comment