Tuesday, February 9, 2016

What A Friend Looks Like For People With Disabilities

Regardless of struggles in my life, I have been blessed with good friends. My friends have always seen me for me and not my disability.

My roommate is my best friend. She is one friend who has always been there for me. We met at Between Friends where she was running a program, and we hit it off right away. I remember watching Simon’s Birch with her and she made me laugh the entire time. That’s what I think about when I think about my roommate, she is such a goof!

However, my roommate is more than her great sense of humour. She has always been there for me through the good and the bad. We’ve been through a lot together, and throughout it all she has looked past my disability and treats me like a human being and good friend. Seriously, she is not afraid to tell me like it is, which is exactly what I need sometimes. Honestly, I do not know what I’d do without her.

I am writing this because I want to reach out to the people who haven’t made good friends because some people can’t look past their disability. This is not okay! The definition of a friend is someone who truly understands you. So, look at the people in your life, do they understand the real you? If not, then they may not be the friend that you deserve. The trick is believing that you deserve good friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment