Thursday, January 28, 2016

What Is The Word Disability?

First off, I hate labelling people. Were not all the same but we are put in the same box. When you label someone with a disability, or mental illness, or behavioural issue, it doesn't really encourage you to see past that. In other words, it doesn't really encourage you to see a whole human being. The word disability comes with a lot of assumptions of what a person is capable of doing. The word "disability" is an umbrella term for physical, learning, and developmental disabilities. It's kind of like how we lump together people of different races and assume they are all similar with similar characteristics (eg. all asians are smart). 

I know what it's like to be in the box. I know what it's like to be trapped in my body, but it doesn't even compare to the feeling of being trapped by that word. It's hard to be on the side and watch everyone play, it's like a game that I'm not a part of. I had to prove to myself and everyone around me of what I can do with my life. There is a lot of things I've done in my life that some people would never dream of doing. Just because I do things in a different way, it doesn't matter because it makes me stronger and believe in what I can do. I've always seen myself as a very able-bodied person. It's hard for the word disability not to be a completely devaluing word when it takes away my power. 

Personally I don't see any need to have this word in society. There's so much stigmatism that comes with it, I believe it does more harm than good. Over the years I have become desensitized to it, but every once in a while it will really sink in and hurt me. If I could take the word and change it I would change it to "I have a life challenge". It is a life challenge that is unique to me, just like everyone else. Even with the life challenge that is not who I am deep down, it is someone who is proud of what they accomplish in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment