Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Voice of A Handicapped Girl Who Finally Accepted Who She Is:

I have come to a place in my life where I can accept everything, even the things I don't like. I don't like that my legs don't move the way everyone else's do, or the looks of pity people shoot at me. I maybe don't like everything about how I look, like the pimples on my face. But I know that it's a part of me so I accept it just the same. 

If I had to do my life all over again, I'd do it the same way. Having cerebral palsy has brought a particularly wonderful person into my life. I've known her about 16 years, but I moved in with her about 4 1/2 years ago. We do everything together and I am so lucky to have her in my life! Sometimes I do wish I had someone who I really connected to like that who also had cerebral palsy in my life. I do know other people with cerebral palsy, but we don't really hang out. Sometimes I just want someone who can relate to me on all levels, including living with cerebral palsy. 

I want people to know that I love myself. I love my life. I'm not ashamed of having cerebral palsy. This is my life. I couldn't have asked for better family and friends to be taking this journey with me. My life with CP is a good life. I want to show people that I have a disability but that's not who I am. I am Shawna Mattinson and I am okay being handicapped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment