Thursday, November 5, 2015

CTV News W5 Story:

There was a show on W5 a couple of weeks ago, it was on a family who has kids, triplets in fact and they all have cerebral palsy. The three kids have been through a lot. Brody is the most severely affected, he can't speak and has had multiple surgeries, including heart surgery at 6 weeks. His sister Taylor also had heart surgery at 6 weeks. His sister Taylor also had heart surgery at 6 weeks. Their brother Cole was born deaf however, since receiving a cochlear implant he is slowly starting to talk. Their parents have a hard time with everything in fact, the stress of this situation has caused them to divorce. They have had to make countless difficult decisions of what is best for the family. Often times the surgeries the kids go through are potentially fatal. They have to live life day by day and sometimes hour by hour.

My thoughts about this... I am thinking about the family because it's hard to have 3 little kids who all have cerebral palsy. When I think of my family, they have it so good because they only have one child with cerebral palsy. My heart goes out to the parents because they have kids who will never grow up and get a car, or go to college, or have kids of their own. If I was one of those kids, I would want my family to do the right thing for me and for them. I take my hat off to the parents of these triplets. They have sacrificed their own lives to care for their children. If I were in their shoes, I'd want to do the same. 

The important thing to realize is that cerebral palsy is a very individual condition, no two people are the same. No two families are the same either. What is right for one situation is not necessarily right for another. I think that in this family's situation it was in the parents best interest, despite all the sacrifices they made to do their best to raise those children. However, in the case of the family in the Dr. Phil story below, I believe it would be the best choice for those children with disabilities to have a doctor assisted suicide. They have no quality of life and no awareness where they are or who else is there. If I was in their shoes I would want my parents to let me go, and get on with their lives. I know they love me but if I was a vegetable then I would want them to let me go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment