Friday, October 25, 2013

Twenty Years of Giving Thanks!


Speaking about what I am grateful for in my life comes up every year at Thanksgiving.  I can't just quickly say thanks for the past twenty years because it is not merely about the past twenty years, I am thankful for my whole life, especially for my family.  They are a big part of my life and I don't know what I would do without them.
Recently we celebrated Thanksgiving.  It was a great time.  I went to Lacombe on Saturday with my mom, my sister and my nephew and one of my nieces. We visited my godparents and their families.  My dad was working but I wished that he could be there.  I am thankful for our godparents because they are no different than blood relatives.  My family has limited relatives that live close by. So when I visit my godparents I am so thankful to spend time with them. 
Now that my sisters are married they have their own family and this means I am an aunt to four little ones.  I have three wonderful nieces and an amazing little nephew.   I am so honored to have them in my life. 
Sometimes when I see people who have challenges in life or who are physically impaired in some way, I wonder if they are fortunate like me.  It makes me consider if they have a wonderful family who is always there and loves them for who they are, like my family; or has a family decided to give up their child. Maybe someone thought they couldn’t handle being parents to someone who has a disability.  Perhaps the parents decided it was best to put the person in a home and neither one sees the other again.  This is a sad and tragic situation and I am grateful every day that I am with my parents and my siblings. 
When I turned eighteen, I decide to move into a group home.  At the time this location was a good transition to living an independent life.  I wanted to move out and it was an adventure.  I am so happy I can do anything that I want and I know it.  What I did with my life like going back to school and getting a diploma in Web Graphic Design is amazing to me.  This has opened many doors and has validated my beliefs about the opportunities that I can create in my life.  I am grateful to have taken the risk. 
Some people don’t have the support and the opportunity to make their own choices.  I believe that everyone has the right to choose in life.   I also believe that the best choices we make are greatly influenced by the support in our family and in our society.  The support I have had in the past twenty years of my life I am thankful for.   

No comments:

Post a Comment