Before travelling, I have several considerations, but airport security is a major one. They often assume I’m a man and ask the person I’m with to guide me through. It’s hard to know if they see me as a person or just someone with a disability.
Once through security, getting to my seat is a lot of work. When I was younger, I could walk down to my seat with some help, but now I need to use the aisle seat. This is fine for short flights, but longer ones require bathroom breaks. Airplane bathrooms are tiny, and for someone with a disability like me, they’re unusable. So, I go before I get on the plane.
One time, I was coming home from Hawaii and desperately needed to use the bathroom. I couldn’t wait until we landed, so my friend and I were sitting in the back of the plane. She had to help me get out of my seat and to the bathroom. Once she set me up, she closed the door and asked the stewardess to ensure no one went inside. She said, “Okay.” They were very helpful on that flight.
Unfortunately, most airlines don’t seem very accommodating to people with disabilities. I believe they should have accessible planes for those who can’t get out of their wheelchairs and accessible bathrooms for everyone with a disability.
No comments:
Post a Comment