Sunday, September 10, 2023

Access

  

It seems like I’m blogging a lot these days. It feels like my blog is my sounding board. And that’s good for me because I can get into shit with my words. I am writing this funny and a little condescending. I don’t really care if I get into trouble so here is my thoughts about access, my favourite topic of my life. I moved to Calgary when I was 18 years old. 



Now I am in my 40’s so that means I’ve taken access for about 23 years. Access is a service in Calgary for people who have disabilities. It is a service that picks people up who can’t drive or walk or take regular transit. In my opinion… it sucks. They have good drivers who I’m friends with and other drivers who I don’t understand why they are working in this field. They are not reliable… There was one time they forgot to pick me up and several times they were really late! 


Or sometimes they come and I’m not ready so they leave. Right now I can book all my trips online and I like that but if I go to the gym and I book it for an 11am drop off they will get me there at 10:20.. it is kind of bullshit. I wish they could have me there like 15 minutes before my drop off time… not 40 minutes! 


I was on the Transit Accessibility board for four years. It was good but seeing it now, what it has become… they need a new system. They phone me when they’re on their way but because it’s an automated system it isn’t that accurate on timing. 


I would like to ask someone from council to ride the access transit for one day… and see how it feels. Maybe I should try my hand at winning the lottery! If I won I could buy a van and a driver to take me around. I could say a lot of bad stuff about access but it’s not worth it for me to get mad about. It’s a system I need to have in my life to get around everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment